History

The history of the Veterinary Institute goes all the way back to 1908.

In 1908 at request from Professor C.O. Jensen the Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University’s Serum Laboratory (Den Kgl. Veterinær- og Landbohøjskoles Serumlaboratorium) was established belonging under the Royal Agricultural and Veterinary University (Den Kgl. Veterinær- og Landbohøjskole). 

In 1926, the foot-and-mouth research station was established belonging under the Ministry of Agriculture (Landbrugsministeriet), and the research station later got its name National Veterinary Institute for Virus Research (Statens Veterinære Institut for Virusforskning).

In 1932 the Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University’s Serum Laboratory changed name to National Veterinary Serum Laboratory (Statens Veterinære Serumlaboratorium), and in 2002 the two institutions were merged to the Danish Veterinary Institute (Danmarks Veterinærinstitut).

In 2004 the Danish Veterinary Institute was united with institute for Institute of Food Safety and Nutrition (Institut for Fødevaresikkerhed og Ernæring), which was part of Danish Veterinary and Food Administration (back then is was called Fødevaredirektoratet, today it is called Fødevarestyrelsen). This merged institution was given the name Danish Institute for Food and Veterinary Research (DFVF) (Danmarks Fødevare- og Veterinærforskning). 

Later that year, in august 2004, the institution had another name change, because it passed to the Minister for Family and Consumer Affairs (Ministeriet for Familie- og Forbrugeranliggender). From then it was called “Danmarks Fødevareforskning”; in English the name remained Danish Institute for Food and Veterinary Research (DFVF), though.

In January 2007, DFVF merged with Technical University of Denmark, DTU. In this process DFVF was split into two institutes and a commercial unit; these are the National Veterinary Institute, the National Food Institute, and Dianova A/S.